Greatcell Solar SA develops solar cells based on a revolutionary new technology and undertakes specific research to complement development work by Greatcell Solar in Australia and in the UK.
About the role
The Materials/Solar Cell Scientist will be a key member of a small team based at the EPFL Innovation Park in Lausanne, Switzerland with the expectation to substantially contribute to the company’s materials and device development program.
Key areas of responsibility
Under the general direction and supervision of the Chief Scientist the candidate is expected to perform a range of hands-on activities including but not limited to the following specific duties:
- Deposition of thin semiconductor layers through spray pyrolysis, spin coating or other relevant techniques.
- Preparation and deposition of additional solar cell components such as charge transport materials, selective charge blocking layers and electrical contact layers.
- Assembly of test cell devices largely under inert atmosphere to evaluate materials and designs.
- Thorough device characterisation through IV testing, impedance spectroscopy and other relevant physicochemical methods.
- Literature surveys, analysis of data and writing of technical scientific reports.
- Communicate project status with other Dyesol employees and partner teams.
- Ensure Intellectual Property is captured.
- Ideally 3+ years of experience working within a similar role/industry
- Appropriate degree in Materials Science, Physics or Chemistry, preferably at the post-graduate level.
- Experience with semiconductors, material deposition techniques from solution and familiarity with glove box work is essential.
- Excellent understanding of inorganic and preferably also organic/inorganic hybrid semiconductor materials science.
- Highly experienced with utilisation of physicochemical instrumentation.
- Proven track record in working with Scientific R&D groups to achieve desired outcomes.
- Be proactive, intuitive, able to work independently and self-motivated.
- High degree of manual dexterity and the ability to perform multiple tasks at a consistently high level.
- Attention to hypothesis based investigation and analysis.
- A high level of literacy in English is required as is the ability to manage one-on-one relationships with peers and senior members of the team.
- Demonstrated capability to proactively contribute in multi-disciplinary teams, with the ability to work independently and with limited supervision.
Greatcell Solar supports a ‘one team’ culture and will offer a salary commensurate with skills and experience and the opportunity to establish a career with a world leader in the supply of 3rd Generation Solar Technology.
To apply for this role please forward a CV, cover letter addressing the selection criteria and copies of qualifications or other supporting material to Dr. Hans Desilvestro email@example.com.
This position is open to EU nationals and Swiss citizens as well as holders of a residence permit.
Applications close 16 April 2018.